Answerland welcomes trained library professionals and library school students to help answer questions. The job description below lists the duties, qualifications, time commitment and training required to volunteer.
Volunteers will answer reference questions on Answerland, Oregon's Statewide Reference Service.
Answerland Reference Librarian
To staff Answerland with Oregon librarians as often as possible.
To train Oregon librarians in virtual reference skills.
Answerland Support Librarian, Tamara Ottum
Minimum of two hours weekly for six months.
- Provide chat-based and e-mail answers to reference questions.
- Instruct patrons in the use of local library resources.
- Reference experience or completion of a reference class at an ALA-accredited college or university MLS/MLIS program within the past 10 years.
- Excellent online searching skills.
- Strong keyboarding skills.
- Ability to conduct an effective reference transaction in an online environment.
- Willingness to work with a wide variety of users, including youth and adults.
- Access to a computer with a high speed Internet connection and with Answerland software downloaded. Computer access is not provided by Multnomah County Library.
- A resume and two references (names and email addresses of employers, supervisors, or teachers that we may contact) must be submitted prior to training.
- One full day of training
Virtual Reference Librarian
Oregon State Library